The world of digital marketing is constantly evolving. As companies adapt to changing customer habits and strive to stay ahead of the competition, new roles emerge year after year. As a result of this fluidity, some digital marketing professionals are more in demand than others.
At Forward Role we specialise in digital marketing recruitment, working with many of the fastest growing brands and agencies in the UK. As a result, we get to see first-hand exactly how the landscape is changing.
Below is our list of the top 10 most highly sought after digital marketing roles, with details of the skills you’ll need to be successful in these fields.
1. PPC Manager – With paid search continuing to drive significant acquisition in the ecommerce sector, the number of businesses investing in PPC Managers (and Paid Media Managers) continues to grow. If you’ve PPC experience you’re in a great position as many hirers are desperate to bring on board those who know the industry inside out.
Key skills:an eye for numbers, a multi-tasker, and someone who relishes working under pressure.
2. Content Manager– The ability to produce engaging, informative content is a desirable requirement for any business, but an essential one for online brands. Content Managers have therefore steadily become one of the most popular digital marketing roles in recent years.
Key skills: creative, self-driven, with a wide vocabulary.
3. SEO Manager – Search engine optimisation evolves with every Google algorithm change, making SEO Manager jobs highly sort after. Whether it’s in-house or agency side, everyone wants to appear on page one for their chosen keywords and as a result, many businesses invest highly in Search!
Key skills: an understanding of the technical aspects of SEO, an experienced writer and multilingual is a bonus!
4. OnlineTrading Manager – Usually the P&L (profit and loss) owner of a brand, these commercially-minded people are in charge of juggling stock, seasonality, price and promotions etc. to trade a website to its maximum potential. And with many retailers growing into new markets, there is a high demand for Online Trading Managers up and down the UK.
Key skills: superb organisation, the ability to manage stakeholders and a data analyst expert.
5. Digital Product Owner – Experienced Product Owners are in real demand within the digital space right now. Finding those who can turn a business’s vision and creative ideas into a comprehensive roadmap is a challenge and therefore skilled Digital Product Owners are in a really fortunate situation.
Key skills: an effective communicator, results focused and a problem solver.
6. Social Media Manager– In recent years the focus on privacy and “fake news” has resulted in Social Media Managers being responsible for more than just the creation of engaging content. This digital role has continued to evolve over the last few years but its importance within the marketing mix remains as crucial as ever.
Key skills: creative, meticulous and a way with words.
7. Head of Ecommerce – Although these roles have only really been around for the last decade, most sizeable online businesses invest in a dedicated owner for the digital presence of their brand. Heads of Ecommerce are essential for driving digital sales as well as creating a slick customer experience so a range of online experience is key.
Key skills: a project manager, technical knowledge and commercially minded.
8. CRO Manager - Jobs specialising in conversion rate optimisation have grown significantly over the past twelve months and essentially focus on optimising the flow of traffic and conversions through a website. Businesses have become increasingly more focused on repairing the holes in their leaky funnels as pouring new customers into the top gets more expensive.
Key skills: a strong analytical ability, forward-thinking and great communication skills.
9. Head of Digital Acquisition – An all-encompassing Digital Acquisition Specialist is not the easiest thing to find. Many of the most recent generations of digital marketers have come through very specific digital channel streams, meaning that if you have a combination of paid, earned and owned skills you’re in a really fortunate position.
Key skills: organised, analytical, and attention to detail.
10. UX Designer - User experience optimisation has been the hot skill set in design for the last few years, with rising demand for designers who can create user-centric web designs that streamline the customer journey. As a result, there are many opportunities at the moment for people with these skills.
Key skills: Keen eye for design, works well under pressure and collaborative.