We are now weeks into the Coronavirus lockdown and many of us are working from home. Flexible working arrangements are now the new normal across many countries and industries, and it's likely that this new way of working will continue for many people for the foreseeable future.
When working from home, it’s really important to stay motivated and keep working hard, but the most important thing (especially with the current global pandemic) is to make sure you that are looking after your own health and wellbeing!
Here are my top tips for looking after yourself when working from home:
- Wake up at your usual time when in work and go for a walk or do some stretches.
- Get dressed and ready as though it was a normal working day.
- Set up a dedicated work space at a table, don’t laze around in bed on your laptop.
- Stay hydrated! Drinking little and often and aiming for 6-8 glasses of water (and other liquids) per day to replace normal water loss – around 1.2 to 1.5 litres.
- Eat not 4, not 5, but 10 portions of fruit and veg (or as many as possible to support that immune system!).
- Go for a run / walk / do a home work-out at lunch, basically make sure you get outside, even if you just walk to the corner shop. Being outside with nature is important for our mental health.
- Keep moving – get those steps up, aim for 10,000 a day!! Exercise is great for both your mental and physical health.
- Set yourself a super clear day plan so that your work is structured and you can focus properly.
- Make sure you include regular breaks in your plan!
- Feeling stressed? There’s a brilliant app called Headspace, download it and do a quick 5-10 minute meditation session.
- Keep up communication with your teams, support each other, check in with your colleagues, share wins and continue to ask for advice. Set up a WhatsApp group, make video calls etc so that you still feel motivated and part of something bigger.
It’s important, more than ever that you look after yourself while you are working from home... So make sure you are organised, stay focused, keep moving, eat heathily and stay hydrated!